It is a common criticism of creationist and intelligent design advocates that they have bought into an unprovable myth and are therefore guilty of “wish thinking.” This is the mantra from the “new atheist” crowd or anyone else who believes Evolution is a Fact and that we all just need to deal with it. In light of that, I am offering links here to a series of 5 articles by some very qualified guys who argue that evolution is also a myth. To summarize the first post, their argument begins by establishing a few facts and characteristics concerning mythology:
- All cultures utilize myth as an important part of their sociology in that it “validates the thinking, practices, and ideals of a culture.”
- Mythology ” … is hard to prove (or disprove) with the technology of the culture; a myth requires faith.”
- All cultures have some kind of creation myth that explains the cultural foundation and most “… involve a powerful, supernatural “god” who creates the world and causes life-forms to be brought forth.”
Evolution is no different. It involves an explanation for our existence that assumes our naturalistic origins, contains an agent capable of creating all life forms (natural selection), a prophet who informs us of the myth (Darwin), and it gives rise to fundamentalist defenders of the myth who will not tolerate any departure from its tenets (the Darwinist scientific establishment).
Please go here: Evolution As Mythology (Part 1 of 5): The Theory of Evolution is a Myth and check out installment one. I am biased of course (these guys are fellow members of my local Reasons To Believe affiliate) but they are obviously qualified to discuss the subject.
- Dr. Hugh Henry received his Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Virginia in 1971, retired after 26 years at Varian Medical Systems, and currently serves as Lecturer in Physics at Northern Kentucky University in Highland Heights, KY.
- Mr. Daniel J. Dyke received his Master of Theology from Princeton Theological Seminary 1981 and currently serves as Professor of Old Testament at Cincinnati Christian University in Cincinnati, OH.
- Dr. Charles Cruze received his Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences from University of Tennessee Center for Health Sciences in 1977, and currently works in research at Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals.
Their work is a fascinating read. More to follow in the coming days, I hope you enjoy …